Everyone is now telling the Government they are wrong and wrong again, for during this COVID pandemic they have been wrong more than they have been right, for they have only been right once, that being the COVID vaccine programme. Even there, that success is beginning to wane, but this Government still clings to that one success as though they are scared to do differently.
But they need to think of those who are suffering and will continue to suffer due to their inactions.
All areas of care are suffering but social care much more than health, even though the suffering in health is considerable.
Both areas are suffering because of lack of investment, social care much more than health, while both are severely short of staff for in these areas there is insufficient workforce in the UK and more are desperately needed for out side the UK.
So there are a number of actions this Government needs to do, which includes
- ensuring the COVID vaccination programme continues to be successful both 1st and 2nd vaccinations and also the booster
- replace the new Minister for Vaccines and Public Health Maggie Throup MP with someone who is more capable
- increase the investment in social care so that care workers receive a salary more inline with the responsibilities they undertake, around £14-£15 per hour
- change UK Immigration Policy to allow more persons to enter to work as care workers in social care
- look to provide a sick pay scheme for care workers
- improve care workers terms and conditions of employment
Only then will social care be saved, for currently it is doomed to fail and then the pressures on the NHS would increase considerably so it too would fail.
By not looking to improve social care the Government is causing much unnecessary pain and suffering.
But their first actions need to bring back mandatory face coverings and social distancing and even consider making it compulsory for all eligible persons to have the COVID vaccinations, even the booster.